Types of appointments
In order to make best use of our limited resources, we need to ensure you’re booked the correct appointment – either a telephone or face-to-face appointment, with the clinician who can best help:
- Healthcare Assistant
- Practice Nurse
- Nurse Practitioner
- routine blood pressure and/or blood test
- smoking cessation advice & treatments
- NHS healthchecks (for patients aged 40 - 74)
- Contraceptive injections & “Pill” checks
- HRT checks
- Asthma and COPD annual review
- Routine cervical smears
- Smoking cessation advice & treatments
- All travel health requirements*
- Almost all adult, child & baby vaccinations
- Coronary heart & stroke disease annual review
- General screening/“well person” check
- Diabetic annual review
- However, if you want to discuss starting HRT or the contraceptive pill, then you will need to have an initial consultation with your GP
*for travel advice/injections outside Europe, please book a telephone consultation with the Practice Nurse, first.
For minor ailments such as rashes, skin irritations or infections, chest or ear, nose and throat infections, acne, that your local Pharmacist is unable to help with. Our staff will help you decide if this is a suitable option for you.
GP telephone consultation
If you have something you want to discuss with your doctor – an ongoing matter or for something they don’t need to examine you, please ask for a telephone consultation. This allows you to speak to your GP without having to travel to and wait in the surgery.
The GP will ring you on your number of choice (in the UK) within an hour of the booked time, and this telephone consultation is scheduled to last five minutes.
GP face-to-face consultation
A 10 minute consultation with a GP may be best if –
- none of the other services seem suitable for your needs
- your problem is complex or involves the care of one or more long-term medical conditions
- you specifically need a GPs assessment, examination, advice (& medication) for your problem
- you need to discuss a new referral for a specialist’s advice or treatment